“Stress is an ignorant state. It believes that everything is an emergency.”– Natalie Goldberg.
Stress- the word itself gives us stress. In a busy city like Mumbai, stress is a common phenomenon due to the competition. Competition of promotion, competition to win, competition to be a rank holder, competition to be unique, competition to succeed and so on. Due to this competition we actually forget to live our life to the fullest and this causes stress. Even when we go to sleep-the word competition unknowingly creates various thoughts in our mind, if that thought are negative, then even in deep sleep we are stressed. Sometimes, a little stress is actually good as it helps to accomplish certain goals and objectives. But remember, “Anything in excess is not good” and so is stress.
Too much stress often leads to health diseases. Stress leads to anxiety, anxiety leads to depression and depression may often result in loss of life. Stress makes you short tempered, due to stress you start losing relations with others. Too much stress is like consuming drugs that kills you slowly and steadily. Stress also leads to mental illness.
Being a student I too lead a stressful life. In fact students face more stressful life than professionals or home-makers. Stress from parents, stress from teachers, stress due to peer pressure, stress to reach the top and so on. This stress is often the reason behind many suicide cases.
Well, to deal with stress I would like to share five tips that I follow:
- Ganpati Dance: If you are a Mumbaikar, You would surely know what Ganpati Dance is. Dance with heart. Whenever I am stressed, I turn on the music and dance as if no one is watching. Ganpati Dance refreshes one’s mind. You don’t have to shake your booty, or do steps like actors and actresses. You just have to dance, dance like Munna Bhai or dance like ‘Rowdy’.
- Writing: I love writing, so whenever I am stressed I start writing. Sometimes, I start writing in my diary or write a blog or stories. For me writing is my love, so when I do what I love, stress vanishes out of me. It doesn’t matter if you are not a writer. Take out a book and pen and write whatever comes into your mind. Also write down what causes you to stress. It is when you start writing; you come to know that half of the stress you are taking is useless! And when you write down the causes behind stress, in it you will also find the solutions.
- Walk: Whenever I am exhausted, I go for a walk. So this is what everyone recommends us, to deal with stress one must go down for a walk. Even I agree with everyone, one must go for a daily walk. While you walk, play some soothing music in your cell phone and notice the nature around you. The rising or setting of sun, the chirping of birds, notice the beautiful morning or evening. It helps you to bring peace in your life.
- Watching Cartoon and Comedy Show: “Laughter is the great Stress reliever”. I watch cartoon such as Doraemon, Shinchan, Chota Bheem to divert my mind from stress. I also watch Comedy Knights with Kapil. Everyone will agree, to distress oneself, one must watch Kapil’s show. Alas! It comes only on Saturdays and Sundays but don’t be upset we all are blessed with Internet. Go to YouTube and watch his shows. Even if you watch his repeat shows, you’ll still find it worth watching.
- Playing with Children: We all remember our childhood days as the best days where the word stress never existed for us. What existed was ‘happiness’. Everyone wishes to go back to those days but no one knows how! By spending time with kids, by playing with them you surely feel like a kid. Neither do I have kids at home nor do the neighbors on my floor have. Whenever I want to free myself from stress, I go down in my society garden and play with kids. Believe me, the joy you get in their company is seriously the best.
Do comment to share your techniques you follow to de-stress yourself and #SlowDownZindagi when it all becomes too much to handle?
“For fast acting relief, try slowing down.” – Lily Tomlin